In marking this year’s International Youth Day (IYD), Ghana’s number one urban radio and official frequency for ‘the Young & the Young at Heart’, YFM has released its first-ever power list celebrating young Ghanaian icons blazing the trail in the creative arts industry.
The list, known as Y POWER ICONS, seeks to recognize 30 young Ghanaians under the age of 40 who have excelled in their endeavor in areas such as music, film, media, creative technology, fashion, writing, dancing, comedy among others.
The IYD, celebrated annually on August 12, is a day set aside by the United Nations to draw attention to the cultural and legal issues surrounding the youth worldwide.
As part of this year’s IYD under the theme “Intergenerational Solidarity: Creating a world for all ages,” YFM is highlighting the impressive achievements of young Ghanaians who are breaking barriers positively in the creative arts industry.
The #YouthDayOnY will observed in three-fold – “Y Power Icons”, the “Y Support Your Hustle” and the “My Advice To The Youth”. These will be marked On Air, Online and On Social.
• Y Power Icons – Is the recognition of distinguished young people who have excelled in the creative arts industry.
• Y Support Your Hustle – Initiative seeks to help and promote businesses of young and promising entrepreneurs across the YFM triangle at no charge.
• My Advice for the Youth – This is where notable achievers in Ghana will share pieces of advice to inspire the youth to aim for greatness.
Commenting on the #YouthDayonY initiative, Osei Kuffour, Head of YFM Triangle said that young people constitute majority of the population in Ghana and across the world.
“We are a youth driven radio station and have given opportunities to the youth to help them rise through the ranks in their careers. As a dominant urban radio station, the brand cherishes young people and we want to keep shinning the spotlight on the power of Ghanaian youth. Most of them have been impactful in the community but have gone unnoticed,” said Osei Kuffuor.
“Just like the theme for the International Youth Day 2022 suggests, we want to create a world for all ages by recognizing and celebrating the impact of the Ghanaian youth especially in the creative and entertainment industry.” he added.
Audience across the YFM Triangle in Accra, Kumasi and Takoradi and the general public can join the Youth Day activation on air, online and on social media.
The 2022 Y POWER ICONS are:
• Sadiq Abdulai Abu – CEO of 3Music
• Yvonne Nelson – Actress
• John Dumelo – Actor and Entrepreneur
• Amaarae – Artiste
• Incredible Ziggy – Choreographer
• OB Amponsah – Comedian
• Abdul Abdullah – Co-Founder of Afrochella
• Valerie Lawson – Artistic Director for Maybelline New York and Founder of CVL Beaut
• Joel Wackle – Creative Writer
• Kukua Eshun – Film Director
• Black Sheriff – Artiste
• Nabeyin Panford – Grammy nominated music producer
• Danny Manu – Tech Entrepreneur (Built the World’s first auto-translator earbuds)
• Ama Duncan – Author & CEO of Ama Duncan Consulting
• Gyakie – Artiste
• Wiyaala – Artiste
• Ibrahim Mahama – Author & Artist of Monumental Installations. CEO of Red Clay Studios
• Ewura Adjoah – Pencil Art Artist and owner of Aewura Arts
• Kenny Agyapong Jnr – Co-Founder Afrochella and Culture Curations
• Wode Maya – Influencer and a Vlogger
• SDK – Vlogger and Creative Content producer
• Tailor Rahim- Celebrity Stylist and CEO of AnafoBisi Clothing
• Kofi Kinaata – Artiste
• Egya Ampaabeng – Radio Personality and CEO of Westline Consult
• Fameye – Artiste
• Dr Likee – Comedian and Skit content producer
• Ko-Jo Cue – Artiste & Co-Founder of “The Cue” Talent Group
• Joey Lit – Fashion Icon and Co-Founder of Free The Youth
• Rosalyn Ashker – Model, Founder of Narza Creative Studio
• Sumaya and Kabutey Dzietror – Founders of Ghanaian Fashion House, Pistis Ghana
The Youth Day on Y is sponsored by UBA.